forums

map cycle
irc              pwnalizer
voice         dswp bar

Register

Login

It is currently 05.05.24

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 09.19.10 
Ingame Mod

havoc wrote:
Deviant wrote:
Well what I surely dont want to underestimate is the possibility of human error or a mistake. And when you are reckoning with forces that created all of the universe, stuff like antimatter, I think it's best to be a bit precautious and not get too 'cocky'.

im sure those people dont have death wishes :)

Im sure those ppl also didn't plan on blowing up Chernobyl either :) Shit happens and more 'powerful' shit you have, the bigger mess you get when it hits the fan.

havoc wrote:
Deviant wrote:
and not about going pointing fingers at different religions everytime you find something that could prove them wrong only to find out tomorrow that maybe there was some variable they didn't count in. Ofc you have to show the results of your studies to get funds etc. but whatever.

i have never seen scientific research done just for the reason to disprove god. dont think they would get funding for that EVER. but ye one could draw conclusions out of certain researches that god does or does not exist. thats more media-oriented stuff tho, not much of science there.

But putting yourself in the shoes of a catholic believer, you can see this threatening the very foundations of your religion :P

havoc wrote:
Deviant wrote:
Also I would like to rise a question of how will finding out how universum was made help human kind? Wouldn't it be smarter to set your sights into the future and not look so much in the past?

thats simple questions that require complex answers tho. if you insist i will try to answer those later. for now a short one - curiosity?

Mmmm I guess curiosity is a motive strong enough to spend millions of dollars on this. Meh whatever, I don't really care. Makes very little difference whether I know exactly what happened or not...

havoc wrote:
Deviant wrote:
I do agree that solving these problems might open doors to new innovations and theories but I think that's also highly debatable (and way over my head ofc.)

solving those will definitely further our progress as a race, and widen our views. but just solving them is really huge work, benefiting from them is out of the question yet.

Well you said this has already been answered, yes? Where are the benefits :P ?

Ingame Mod

-----tdm:  
nick: [dswp]Jan
skill: 330.877
kills: 220
deaths: 210
ratio: 1.04
-----bomb:  
nick: [dswp]Jan
skill: 664.203
R e a d l a s t p o s t o n p a g e 2 d e v i a n t. T h x. : )

Ingame Mod

eXtr33m wrote:
havoc wrote:
Deviant wrote:
Also I would like to rise a question of how will finding out how universum was made help human kind? Wouldn't it be smarter to set your sights into the future and not look so much in the past?

thats simple questions that require complex answers tho. if you insist i will try to answer those later. for now a short one - curiosity?

No, there is a short answer. Imagine video. You see the end where is a ball in the air. You dont know where the ball was starting you just see "now" when the ball is in the air. Right you have no chance of knowing where will the ball go. But if look into "past", play video backwards, more you see, its easier for you to find out how the ball will fly. (the ball is behaving by some physical laws.. ye we cannot know if the universe is similar but the point is ok..)

P(ea/i)(c/s)(e/s) :mrgreen:

eXtr33m wrote:
R e a d l a s t p o s t o n p a g e 2 d e v i a n t. T h x. : )

Hmmm while I do understand the metaphor, I do think that knowing where the ball will land is more relevant to our interest than the starting point. Unless ofcourse you're worried of how to get the ball on the move again? But really, the timescale we're talking here... I believe humankind will be long gone before that's even remotely relevant... Im fairly confident that the universe won't end during our lifetime at least :]

Godlike

eXtr33m wrote:
No, there is a short answer...

much more complicated m8. first of all you only have the vid from a certain point in time onwards, second - bigbang was not just a regular explosion, not at all. will repeat myself, but its much more BigPhenomenon, than BigBang. and trying to reverse-engineer it is really complicated stuff. much more than calculating the right trajectory of a ball in a vid with missing parts.

Deviant wrote:
Im sure those ppl also didn't plan on blowing up Chernobyl either :) Shit happens and more 'powerful' shit you have, the bigger mess you get when it hits the fan.

there were some outside factors involved there, lets say political. actually its kinda hard to make a nuclear power plant go boom, but the people running the tests made few critical mistakes, hence the result. dont know if you have seen the actual data from the explosion, the power plant actually held quite well, so in the end scientists and engineers who built it did their jobs well (russians actually tend to overbuild whatever they do. like if you need a piece of steel in your russian car lets say 8x8mm, they will make it 18x18mm just in case). except the lack of fool defense mechanism.

Deviant wrote:
But putting yourself in the shoes of a catholic believer, you can see this threatening the very foundations of your religion :P

true. unfortunately, change always brings some pain. its up to them to keep an open mind about it. and resisting the change only mounts bigger amounts of (social) tension, which, in the end, will find a release somehow. so its really mostly in their hands. embrace the future, or fade away with the past. that btw is valid point for many other things, one of them being the current "free" "market" "economy", which right now also struggles to continue its existence as it is, mounting huge amounts of tension. and just sit and watch when this shit hits the fan. i promise you a great brown show. and no, not brown as hitler, but brown as lots of shit :) what happened last 3 years was just few precautionary shakes. anyway thats offtopic.

Deviant wrote:
Mmmm I guess curiosity is a motive strong enough to spend millions of dollars on this. Meh whatever, I don't really care. Makes very little difference whether I know exactly what happened or not...

i told u thats a short answer, can give you a more complex one but im not sure you really care :) even more, judging by "Makes very little difference whether I know exactly what happened or not" :)

Deviant wrote:
Well you said this has already been answered, yes? Where are the benefits :P ?

we have working theory, not a definitive answer yet. too early for benefits. meanwhile, enjoy the benefits of the work of nicola tesla, john atanasov, edisson and many more (meaning - pc with urt running :) ).

Ingame Mod

Havoc wrote:
there were some outside factors involved there, lets say political. actually its kinda hard to make a nuclear power plant go boom, but the people running the tests made few critical mistakes, hence the result. dont know if you have seen the actual data from the explosion, the power plant actually held quite well, so in the end scientists and engineers who built it did their jobs well (russians actually tend to overbuild whatever they do. like if you need a piece of steel in your russian car lets say 8x8mm, they will make it 18x18mm just in case). except the lack of fool defense mechanism.

Mmmm yeah I have nothing against progress, but it really really really has to be 150% foolproof if theres even slightest chance of catastrophic malfunction. And Im sure every possible precausion was taken however... Like I said, human error. Still, gief coldfusion tbh.

havoc wrote:
true. unfortunately, change always brings some pain. its up to them to keep an open mind about it. and resisting the change only mounts bigger amounts of (social) tension, which, in the end, will find a release somehow. so its really mostly in their hands. embrace the future, or fade away with the past. that btw is valid point for many other things, one of them being the current "free" "market" "economy", which right now also struggles to continue its existence as it is, mounting huge amounts of tension. and just sit and watch when this shit hits the fan. i promise you a great brown show. and no, not brown as hitler, but brown as lots of shit :) what happened last 3 years was just few precautionary shakes. anyway thats offtopic.

Im not too much into economy tbh :P Though there's always the possibility that you're wrong and they will piss down on you from heaven when you burn in hell before any of the stuff you mentioned happens... oh wait that didn't sound right.

havoc wrote:
i told u thats a short answer, can give you a more complex one but im not sure you really care :) even more, judging by "Makes very little difference whether I know exactly what happened or not" :)

I would go to school tomorrow even if you said a transvestite midget monkey took a crap which launched a chain even that led to universe being born :D No offence ofc.

havoc wrote:
we have working theory, not a definitive answer yet. too early for benefits. meanwhile, enjoy the benefits of the work of nicola tesla, john atanasov, edisson and many more (meaning - pc with urt running :) ).

What happened to Teslas remote electricity btw ? I think laptops that would charge themselves remotely whever you might be would be pretty neat thing :(

/reconnect

Deviant wrote:
What happened to Teslas remote electricity btw ? I think laptops that would charge themselves remotely whever you might be would be pretty neat thing :(

Here it comes:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4sAzaKfbRc

PostPosted: 09.20.10 
Godlike

Deviant wrote:
Mmmm yeah I have nothing against progress, but it really really really has to be 150% foolproof if theres even slightest chance of catastrophic malfunction. And Im sure every possible precausion was taken however... Like I said, human error. Still, gief coldfusion tbh.

yea civilian applications of boom technology must be at least 150% foolproof, i agree. unfortunately, since the world needs more energy fast, most of the resources are concentrated to better the existing technologies. not to mention the "business" interests and lobbies. anyway, we are now closing on fusion power, which is much safer (check the "accident potential" part). also the renewable energy thing is getting cheaper and more efficient all the time.

Deviant wrote:
... they will piss down on you from heaven when you burn in hell before any of the stuff you mentioned happens...

thats still to be revealed.

Ingame Mod

Btw, if Christians would be pissing down on you when you were burning in hell, would you think it's sort of a 'I told you so' thing or that they are trying to extinguish the flames? And would you be gratefull or not? Important questions.

Godlike

havoc wrote:
yea civilian applications of boom technology must be at least 150% foolproof, i agree. unfortunately, since the world needs more energy fast, most of the resources are concentrated to better the existing technologies. not to mention the "business" interests and lobbies. anyway, we are now closing on fusion power, which is much safer (check the "accident potential" part). also the renewable energy thing is getting cheaper and more efficient all the time.

Now, you reminded me in something. Nowdays it's not Church that is slowing evolution, but lobbies are. Best example is car industry. With todays technology, we can make electrical car, with many alternative resources, costing almost nothing after bought. That car has better power, acceleration, easier to limit (like speed limit for town/highway), more space and is more ecological. But no, Croatian laws forbid you that kind of car, so you must drive one on gas.
Same is with any homemade electrical energy source. If i make windmill generator i can't use any of it's energy, expect if i get documentation for it, i have chance to sell mine energy to HEP (Hrvatka Elektro Privreda, Croatian power industry) (i can't use that energy) by some stupid price.
We can use our own solar energy only to heat water, nothing else.
So, it's lobbies that are stopping our evolution now, and oil one is way too strong.

Ingame Mod

AimMe wrote:
Now, you reminded me in something. Nowdays it's not Church that is slowing evolution, but lobbies are.

Then there's also human greed... For example, the research for some diabetes medicine (if I remember correctly) was cancelled because it's more profitable to have person hooked on your product for life that makes the symptoms hurt/bother less than having a single pill that cures the whole condition :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next