deaths: 10971
ratio: 1.11
-----bomb:  
nick: SelfRescuingPrincess
skill: 254.796
kills: 219
deaths: 202
ratio: 1.08
I've been knifing almost exclusively for the last 1.5 days now (only occasionally reaching for a grenade) and finding it enormous fun. I sure have the sick sense of humor needed to enjoy cutting people. Nothing funnier than rushing into a bunch of enemies; when they're done with you, odds are that few teamkills also have occurred>:-) I want to become this scary dude, renowned for his eyepatch and the fact that you see him only after being killed... This dude who gets you when you have your back securely against the wall. This dude who slices you in the middle of the air>:-)

Unless you're a stats whore, try it out. It will give you better understanding of the dynamics of a map, and it will make you a better player. To test whether slicing people would bring joy into your heart, pray acquaint yourself with the superb demos from these pages:
Watching a good player move fast and low to the enemies and slice them from unexpected positions feels like a scene from an SF movie, from the evil invisible alien's viewpoint. You could almost hear the slithering sound and see the optical warping accompanying this. Note that as you move faster, strafejumping most of the time (you'd better...), you probably start to boot friends and enemies alike quite often. It's especially surprising if you've just realized how hard it is to kick someone...

As the knife is by its very nature very difficult a weapon, you have to use more cover, move faster and play more tactically -- rushing headlong into someone will get you killed. When you play a few hours with knife only, going back to your favorite brand of fire-breathing toy feels as if you're a god. One warning: do bind a key for "say !fp", as you'll get teamkilled quite often when in the middle of the enemies. (Knifing sure is an art best practiced alone.) On the bright side, you yourself will almost never teamkill:-) When slicing you discover how clueless most players actually are; when you're not actively attacking them, you can basically run past them without being noticed, then turn back and rape them from behind>:-)

One of the coolest things about knife is that it doesn't need reloading -- not even metaphorically, as swinging your arms doesn't use stamina. (There's no real need to fix this "oversight", as it wouldn't add anything to the gameplay.) Another good thing is that if your ratio starts to climb to impossible heights, nobody will suspect you using an aimbot:-P. I wouldn't necessarily enjoy knives-only play, though, as most of the fun in slicing comes from using the advantages knife has over firearms: you rush close to the enemy, so you don't have to aim that precisely; if you can see the enemy, you probably can hit him.

You know you're really contributing in the fun factor of the game when the enemies are starting to compliment you:-)
Quote:
You hit Element`` in the Torso for 44% damage.
You hit Element`` in the Arms for 20% damage.
Element`` was sliced a new orifice by JRandomNoob.
/---/
JRandomNoob: :-)
/---/
Element``: random rox
/---/
analvomit: jrandom<3
/---/
You hit analvomit in the Kevlar for 35% damage.
analvomit was sliced a new orifice by JRandomNoob.
/---/
(DEAD) analvomit: xD
/---/
(DEAD) JRandomNoob: :-)

Few things I've found about some of the maps:
  • Riyadh is a rather difficult map, because of the large open distances. (This is the very map where camping is not only tolerated, but encouraged.) Two obvious ways to make kills are waiting in the middle of the map, at the ruins, and jump at unsuspecting snipers (difficult to time, but rewarding); and reaching the enemy base and using the cover there to move around. Then you can slice the snipers as much as you want, they're completely helpless>:-) Note that in the middle of the map it's actually easier to get good players, as they usually carry SR-8 -- they pop up and take a shot, you locate their position and jump over the wall right when they're reloading>:-)
  • Ramelle has pretty much a single chokepoint; getting through in one piece is difficult, but when you're on the other side, you have enemies clustered together to prey on>:-) Be wary of snipers, though. Should be better on HD, where there are tunnels again.
  • Ambush and Sanctuary are very good slicing maps; lots of ways to get around and surprise somebody, you can routinely take them from behind.
  • On Uptown, it's best if you can jump well, otherwise it takes too much time to reach the enemies. And climbing makes sound, so they're prepared. Of course, it is possible to camp with a knife...:-)
  • Crossing has several nice ways to get around fast and surprise the enemies (walljumping to the train and from there to the other side is a good way to catch the unwary prey), but beware of the chickenwire spans here and there. You can be shot through these, they provide no cover (unlike a wall with windows), and by the time you reach the opening (if any), you're dead several times over.
  • Coconutbeta is best played in blue, as they have the higher points to drop from, and the hallways to surprise rushers.

BTW, just a month ago I couldn't get three steps from the spawn without being killed...

Attachments:
File comment: That's how we cure camping around here>:-)
shot0184.jpg
shot0184.jpg [ 148.12 KiB | Viewed 9662 times ]
File comment: My record. One of the kills didn't count, as bloodloss is considered a weapon unto itself:-)
UT4_ABBEY_TDM(21_33)(RED250)(BLUE239)(29-12)(15-15).jpg
UT4_ABBEY_TDM(21_33)(RED250)(BLUE239)(29-12)(15-15).jpg [ 240.37 KiB | Viewed 9664 times ]
File comment: Of course, when you run around slicing people, things like this can happen.
shot0217.jpg
shot0217.jpg [ 151.19 KiB | Viewed 9663 times ]
File comment: I really should record more, as the coolest things (like four or five kills in a row) happen usually in the beginning of the map; when I notice that I'm doing well, and get the demo going, I start to suck.
2010_12_29_21_39_52_JRandomNoob_ut4_algiers_TDM.dm_68 [1.11 MiB]
Downloaded 903 times

Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)

Daily Deadnade (last updated September 9, 2016)

Last edited by JRandomNoob on 12.30.10, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 12.30.10 
Leader

Wow a new knife addicted, welcome to the club :)
Nice article hehe

Unclefragger

PostPosted: 12.30.10 
Godlike

Let's see how long it takes you to get in the top 10 :P
By that time you'll be famous and feared ;)

Oh and gl and hf with slicing! :lol:

PostPosted: 12.31.10 
DSWP Meme Artist

-----tdm:  
nick: WidespreadPanic
skill: 618.539
kills: 12260
-----bomb:  
:o :D :P

Wow, I'm being congratulated and killz0red by the top ten slicers :) <Error while processing this request: 158678: too many silly emoticons>

Meanwhile I've decided that while knives are good, firearms ain't half bad either, allowing you actually get more knife kills:-) So my current setup -- which I'll go test as soon as this gets posted -- is knives, suppressed Beretta and grenades (hope to try smokes with goggles soon>:-)). And if it was possible to not carry a primary, I'd do that; unfortunately you have to (if you try a gear bind like FAAOTUA you'll get the default LR-300). So I'm planning something along the lines of choosing the primary for the express purpose of dropping it for the first team mate who runs out of ammo. The question here is whether this makes sense, and if it does, which weapon should I choose? I'm currently carrying G36 as it's the most versatile thingy around, suitable for both snipers and rushers alike. Deciding who needs this is another tricky question, as announcing your ammo level -- although easily doable -- isn't common and most players won't even know that passing items is possible.

Perhaps I should do Pirat and bind a key for "say_team ^2Running low? Order your favorite firearm to your location!", so when I get killed, I can pick a suitable primary and deliver it:-)

Whaddya think?

Jaysus, I'm apparently crazy...

[dswp]R.Stallman

-----tdm:  
nick: [ntr]Shortly
skill: 497.05
kills: 3446
deaths: 4411
ratio: 0.78
-----bomb:  
nick: [ntr]Shortly
skill: 707.602
kills: 526
deaths: 863
ratio: 0.60
JRandomNoob wrote:
Yes, you are.

Btw, I'd like to order some BFG delivery :) .

posted some :)

JRandomNoob wrote:
Whaddya think?

Get a life dude :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 01.02.11 
Godlike

Hmmm, I guess i can't keep up with young players :) I'm again stuck here with svarox....
Quote:
aimme DSWP.AMM 6885
svarox SvaRoX 6885

Slicing is fun, but i must admit it was funnier at beginning of knifomania. I mean, at times when people were too scared to shot at you... Nowdays, knifing is normal, so people actually try to hit you :)

But it is really good for making you skill go up (global skill, not one in stats)

DSWP Meme Artist

-----tdm:  
-----bomb:  
AimMe wrote:
Hmmm, I guess i can't keep up with young players :)

Sonny, I'm somewhat older than you>:-) "New players", however, would be appropriate.

AimMe wrote:
But it is really good for making you skill go up (global skill, not one in stats)

Depends. At my current skills, I can actually get my points go up faster with [knife|pistol|nades] only, although its bad to my ratio. But then, who cares about the ratio, if their aim is to get into the knife list?-)

Godlike

JRandomNoob wrote:
Sonny, I'm somewhat older than you>:-) "New players", however, would be appropriate.

I know :) I'm still one of youngest players here.

JRandomNoob wrote:
Depends. At my current skills, I can actually get my points go up faster with [knife|pistol|nades] only, although its bad to my ratio. But then, who cares about the ratio, if their aim is to get into the knife list?-)

It can rise stats skill, but it will rise global skill (movement for sure, and rest).

DSWP Meme Artist

-----tdm:  
-----bomb:  
Mh mh. Overall skill sure gets much better if you impose restrictions upon yourself (it's essentially the same thing with both lifting heavy stuff and playing the difficult way). Of course, it's only possible from some point onward; a complete noob maybe could learn to use knife effectively, but it's about the nastiest way to learn anything. It might give you the results, but not much fun. For the first two days of slicing I had the thing called "beginner's luck", combined with quite fine mental and physical shape; after that, I started to suck worse than before, regardless of the weapon. Well, I'm not sure what I'm trying to tell here...

Right now I'm playing with an assault rifle again, only switching to knife when turning around a tight corner (when two players collide, the one with knife has the advantage). The appeal of slicing is still that it's so utterly funny and silly thing to do (as is killing a sniper with Beretta from half the map's length), but when I can't pull this off, I'll play the conventional way now and still have fun. BTW, the greatest boost to my movement and tactical skills came IIRC five days ago, when I played eleven hours or so. The sudden lengthening of my virtual dick :P was the very reason I went blade happy. Knifing of itself hasn't given me much yet.